Monday, November 14, 2011

Letters to Avo~The Finale



Nov. 11, 1923

My dear Avo;
I will write you a few lines this eve., as I am so lonesome and no where to go and no one to come to see me. I have something to tell you. Roy came to see me the 4th Sunday in Oct. for the last time. And today was the day that we was to have married. You bet we had a big fuss. I had heard a lot on him so I got after him about it. Tho he didn't get very mad at me. He said that he still loved me and couldn't help it and I told him that I couldn't marry him and he said that if I didn't want to marry it was alright and said that he could get that other girl he had been going with. He said that she was a fool about him, but he didn't love her as well as he did me. And I told him that I guess if he wanted to marry he would have to take her, but I sure did hate to tell him that for I really did love that boy. I had been going with him so long and hadn't found him out til we was almost ready to marry. You bet I hated it. So he hopped up and married yesterday as a week ago Nov. 3rd. He had to steal her and runaway but I am glad he is married and hope him much happiness in his life to come. He has been married once before and left his wife and he told me himself that he wouldn't live with no woman very long at a time. And he said that when he married he wasn't going to quit going with other girls. Don't you say anything about what I have told you, I sure would hate to be in his wife's place. Now don't think that I got fooled for I didn't.
I hadn't got me a thing new, only a pair of slippers and I had to have them for I was barefooted. I wasn't aiming to marry after I heard so much so I just waited til he come. He hadn't been in 2 weeks so he wrote me a letter and said that he would come the 4th Sunday and he did, and I told him what I had to tell him. But it sure was hard. I think I will go to town one day this week and get me a new coat and some other things. Well, I guess I had better close for this time. Answer soon. From your friend, Elizabeth.

Oh, poor Elizabeth! Or maybe not. I wonder what happened to her?  Did she ever find her one true love? Oh, how I hope so.
I believe the moral of this story is... Listen to your mother!!! Oh how love can blind us sometimes!

I hope you enjoy your Monday!!!

3 comments:

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

Wow, what a jerk! So glad she didn't marry him! So that's the last letter?

Mecky said...

When I first started reading, I thought she was going to say he had died.
I am so glad she didn't marry him. He was a jerk. To think he married the other woman who he didn't "love" as much. He didn't know what love was, it looks like. I , too, hope she found Mr Wonderful and had a happy life. I hope his wife didn't end up getting hurt by him. Maybe he grew up after he got married. I guess we will never know.

Thank you for sharing. They were fun to read. My mom saved some of my grandmother's letters. I want them, so if she gives them to me, I should share them with you all. I enjoyed reading them because I never knew my grandmother since she died a month after I was born. It's neat to read and feels like I am hearing her talk.

Have a great week
Mecky

Hope said...

Hi Sandie,
I have been "lurking" around your blog for a while now and following the Letters to Avo! What a treasure you have there in all those old letters. It was like reading excerpts from a novel! I too am relieved she didn't marry that man! I saw through him from the beginning! lol I like how she went back and forth about shopping and giving up on her man. :)

Just wanted to tell you that I am enjoying your blog...it's so warm, down-to-earth and welcoming. You also have a collection of beautiful treasures that I love.

Keep up the good work!
Hope